On Saturday, I was fortunate enough to attend my very first sewing blogger’s meet-up in Toronto, ON in Canada. I made Cake Pops for the first time, for everybody. They were a lot of fun to make, and I’m going to include the recipe at the end of the post.
Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow (who also made everybody colour coordinating name-tags!) and Adrienne from All Style and All Substance instigated (organized) this fantastic event for us, there were 18 of us in total, and I’ve linked to everybody in this post! We all met up in the Fashion District, at Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue and carried on to visit fabric stores in the area.Left to Right: Andi from How Unseamly; Kristian from Victory Patterns; Dana from Wardrobe Dysfunction; Adrienne from All Style and All Substance; Sarah from Pattern Vault; Anastasia, sewist.From Left to Right: Vicki from Another Sewing Scientist; Sandra, JustSew; Chloe from Button and Needle; Reethi from Weekend Crafting; Tracey, sewist; Debbie from Sew Debbie; Jagoda, FitNottoFit (in front).
After this, we all met up at Tequila Bookworm, to eat, drink, exchange sewing stashes and be merry. And we accomplished all of the above, with gusto!Four people at the front, from left, Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow; Kay from Gently Down the Seam; Cathy from Seraphinalina and Kristin from K-Line.
Many of the attendees wore items that they had sewn themselves and it was such a thrill to see it all in person.
Thank you to everybody for coming out and making the day so successful. I had a blast and enjoyed meeting and chatting with all of you!
Recipe for Cake Pops
Ingredients: (makes 20 pops)
- Cake mix (either make your own cake or use your favourite mix)
- 1 box instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk / almond milk / soy milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Icing (make your own or use your favourite ready-to-use icing)
- 1 packet flavoring for icing (I used strawberry)
- 3 bags Candy Melts (cocoa, pink and white)
- Cake decorating sprinkles (in a variety of coordinating colours)
- 20 lollipop sticks
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk or milk substitute and oil. Beat with mixer for 2 minutes and pour into a prepared 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Bake 30 – 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Divide cake in half and use only half for cake pops. Crumble cooled cake into crumbs with no large pieces remaining.
- Add flavour packet to icing, and add 1/2 cup icing slowly to crumbs, combining until mixture forms like a dough. Form into tablespoon size balls, rolling in your hands until smooth.
- Refrigerate cake balls for 2 hours.
- Melt Candy Melts in separate small bowls until smooth. Dip one end of lollipop sticks into candy melts and then insert into the cake balls.
- Wait until lollipop stick in cake pops have firmed, then dip cake pops into melted Candy Melts, varying the colours and layers.
- While Candy Melt mixture is still wet on cake pops, dip into cake decorating sprinkles. Wait for Candy Melt mixture to dry on cake pops.